Wednesday, March 9, 2011

genetics and chemo 6

So basically I'm being screened for a mutation in my brca1 and brca2 genes. They're suspicious that this would be why I developed breast cancer (could be breast ovarian or prostate with this type of mutation) at such an early age. It's pretty unheard of. I had the blood work done today and had about 9 viles taken. They are expediting it and it will still take about two months to process. Hopefully just in time for my mastectomy, because if I do have the mutated gene, I will be opting for a double mastectomy and then have lots of new things to consider : boobie implants, having my ovaries removed, the fact that my babies, sister and father will have up to 60% increased chance of developing one of these cancers and my girls will need to have mammograms and mri's from the age of 18. It was a lot to swallow. But the test is done and I feel good about it. Just knowing that I can help prevent these diseases in my family when we woudn't have otherwise known that it was sitting in them like that. This way, by knowing, we can catch it early and they won't have to go through what I'm going through. I hope so much that it comes back negative but they look at so many factors and put a bit of fear into me. At this point all we can do is wait. And I'm willing to let it slide off my back because my plate is pretty tiny and very very overflowing at this point.

I had chemo today. Number 6 of 8. I triple checked that my bloodwork came back ok before I sat down to have the chemo, they weren't making that mistake again! It took forever to even get in there, they seemed pretty rammed with patients. About an hour past my appointment time, I was sent to pod6 in a bed, which was nice because I was so tired (regardless of the stupid steroids I've been taking). Took about another half hour to get my chemo sent up from the pharmacy because they make it fresh while you're there. I guess it has a quick expiry. The first bag was an hour and a half, and I got to wear my fancy ice mitts and booties. Still not used to them, they're terrible! Next we had an hour and a half of Herceptin, the hormone block, and then half an hour where they watched me to make sure I didn't have any reactions.

Everybody was pretty rad today. I met a nice 69 year old woman in a fancy blonde wig who was facinated that I had nothing on my head. We chatted about cancer a bit and how it was her last session today. I told her I was so happy for her and that I hoped she'd ring the bell (THERE'S A BELL!) and that I'd be clapping for her the loudest. She was pretty awesome. Then Ian had to go grab some lunch and my prescription downstairs so the lady next door who was with her husband and knitting way better than i could dream of, she notices my mittens and that I'm texting with my nose again so she says honey if you need a drink or anything out of your coat, let me help you! She was probably 100. So great. I love how older people touch your leg all the time. So comforting. I ended up asking her to get my water for me because she kept checking over and over and genuinely wanted me to let her take care of me.... but by the time I did, it made me feel all warm and cozy.

My mom is here, sleeping on the couch. She bathed the girls with Ian and got them to bed before I even came upstairs from my own bath. That was really awesome and made me life 200% easier when I'm on these steroids freaking out about everything and really just starting to feel sick and out of it.

I'm afraid of how many days before the pain starts up again. Matty is coming tomorrow to give me my Neupogen shot and I know it's maybe a couple days after the first shot that it really starts to kick into gear. My Dr said that if worse comes to worse I'll just be hospitalized for pain every time which is a real drag, but also very comforting because no matter what pill they give me, my pain doesn't go away, seems it's just injections that work. I hate to be away from my babies but nobody deserves that kind of pain.

I think that's all for now. I'll give updates whenever changes come. Or maybe I'll be too damn busy, who knows?! So mysterious...

No comments:

Post a Comment